The socialization test is approximately one hour long.
You will drop off your pet and he/she will be introduced to the group of dogs that are currently staying at the kennel. They are always introduced one dog at a time starting with my Golden Retriever Maggie.
The introductions are at your dog’s pace. A new dog will only be introduced when your pet feels comfortable with the group.
After all introductions have been made, your dog is than invited outdoors where he/she is observed interacting with a group of dogs in a supervised setting.
Some like to get right in there and start playing with the group, while others just walk around and investigate the area.
There is a one-time fee of $10 for the Socialization Test
The following is a list of social skills that will be rated:
- No aggression towards dogs or humans.
- First introduction to a new dog.
- Ease of meeting and greeting.
- Several dogs meeting and greeting.
- Observation of dog investigating his new environment.
- Playfulness with other dogs.
- Toy aggression.
- Treat time, does your dog wait his turn for a treat. (This step is only done if the dog does not have food aggression.)
- Laying together as a group indoors.
If your pet passes all of the above they will be invited to stay with us. If there is a problem with one of the steps above, this will be discussed at the time of pick up.